Our school is located within the city limits of Concord just off Highway 3, onto Miramar, and onto Burrage Road. The present Concord High facility was completed in 1967 and, at this time, is home to over 1,200 students in grades 9-12.
The mission of Cabarrus County Schools, an innovative, dedicated educational team, in dynamic partnership with our entire community, is to prepare all students with knowledge and skills necessary to be successful, responsible, contributing citizens by providing a caring, disciplined, world-class environment, which challenges students and staff to perform to their potential in a changing, competitive world.
Concord High offers unique educational opportunities for all students, including a 4 x 4 concentrated curriculum organized into two 90-day terms and a cooperative high school program with Rowan Cabarrus Community College and Stanly Community College.
History of CHS
|1924||Opened on Cedar and Beech Street. The building was under way between 1922-1924.|
|1930||Arts Building was finished.|
|1935-36||7th Grade was added.|
|1937||Fire ruined much of the building.|
|1939||Building was renovated from the fire- Library was added. The Auditorium was built by the Sauvain family. It was known as a show place as far as high school auditoriums were at that time and is still used today.|
|1959-64||Science building and industrial arts annex was added.|
|1967||New High School was constructed on 67 acres on present site on Burrage Road.|
|1987||EC Wing Added|
|1991||Band Room Added|
|1998||New Wing Added|
|2002||Auxiliary Gym Added|
|2006||Media Center Added|
Principals at CHS|
(from World War II to present)
|1946 -1969||Ralph A. Glenn|
|1969 - 1986||Charles E. Rimer|
|1986 - 1988||Alan Voigt|
|1988 - 1995||Elbert F. Thomas|
|1995 - 1996||Charles Borders|
|1996 - 2003||D.M. Sonny Pruette|
|2003 - 2005||Dr. Bill Kinsey|
|2005 -||Carla B. Black|
In 1891, the people of Concord voted in favor of establishing a public school system in the city of Concord; the proposal was carried with a margin of only four votes. As the schools grew the citizens became more interested in education; and after building several primary and grammar schools, they realized the need for a high school. So until 1915 Central School was used for this purpose, headed by these principals: Mr. J. D. Lentz, Mr. A. S. Webb, Mr. Lacy McLean, Mr. Hinton McLeod, and Mr. Fred Blythe, consecutively.
During the bond election of 1913, it was decided that new rooms should be added to "Number Two" School (Long), and that a separate high school should be built. Immediately, the school board acquired by gift from the Union School Trustees of the old Lutheran Church property, located on East Corbin Street. The board met at the site on June 8, 1914 and agreed to have the old building removed. A modern brick structure, having six classrooms and an auditorium, was completed in April 1915. Mr. W. E. Futrelle served as the school's first principal; the teachers were Miss Willie Mae Stratford, Mr. L. H. Wilkinson, and Mr. R. H. Hooten. In the beginning, the total enrollment of the freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior classes was only ninety-six students.
The former high school was established in the year of 1924. It had been requested of the voters that they raise in bonds the amount of $225,000. This campaign was completed, the success of which was attributed to the citizen's traditional spirit. With the funds obtained from the campaign, the board purchased seventeen and one-half acres, located at the corner of Cedar Street and Beech Street, as the site for a new modern high school.
Leaving the Corbin Street building behind to be used as an elementary school, Mr. McLeod and the pupils entered the new building as soon as it was completed. Mr. A. H. Jarratt and Mr. J. M. Tignor later succeeded Mr. McLeod; and in 1929 Mr. J. Eris Cassell entered Concord High to serve as principal several years. In 1933, he resigned to enter another field of work. His successor during the four years that followed was Mr. H. F. Krause.
During the latter part of the year 1937 the school was partially destroyed by fire, the origin of which was undoubtedly due to defective wiring above the auditorium. The auditorium and gymnasium were so badly damaged that they had to be completely rebuilt. While this was being done, a new wing was also added to the building. Other losses included a beautiful Steinway Concert Grand piano valued at $1,800 and many valued library books.
In 1939, Mr. Cassell returned to Concord and undertook again the duties as principal of the high school. Because of the excellent work and the fine spirit of cooperation found among the principal, the faculty, the students, and the citizens of Concord, the school became one of the best and most beautiful in the state.
Mr. Ralph Glenn became the principal of Concord High School in 1946. He was the principal for the next 23 years. Mr. Glenn saw many changes through the 40's, 50's, and 60's. The biggest change came in 1967 with the building of what is now Concord High School. The present CHS was constructed on 67 acres on Burrage Road. Concord High School was a city school until 1983 when the city and county merged to form what is now Cabarrus County Schools. The old Concord High School building has been a middle school, a magnet school, suspension center, and technology center. It has been renamed "The Glenn Center" in honor of Mr. Ralph Glenn. The present high school was built in 1967. Through the years it has been expanded, remodeled, and added on to. The EC wing was added in 1987. Classrooms were built from the old shop area in the northwest corner of the building. A band room was added in 1991. The population of Concord High School has grown with the county's growth. A new wing and cafeteria renovation were added in 1998 to accommodate this growth. An auxiliary gym was added in 2002 and a new Media Center was opened in 2006. The old Media Center is now a student commons area, office space and classrooms. CHS grows and changes as the county grows and changes. We are presently at 1200 students and see growth still occurring. Concord High will continue to lead and carry on the traditions in the 21st century.